Thursday, April 15, 2010

Banana Bread

 P0802_15-04-10

3 leftover bananas made me bake this! When I chanced upon the recipe at Simplyrecipes.com, I just had to give it a try because it’s so simple to make and the best part is that you don’t even need a mixer! I dropped my mixer some months ago and it’s not working now :P

Taste wise, it tastes richer than a bread but poorer than a cake, if you know what I mean! Good for a teatime snack in our rainy weather. I would say it’s a less oily version of the local deep fried Jemput-jemput! Take my word, skip the oily banana balls, go for this one instead! ;)

I adjusted the recipe according to the ingredients I had on hand.

Ingredients

  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon banana essence
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup chocolate rice
Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C.

With a wooden spoon, mix oil into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and banana essence. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. It may not be the most important ingredient but whatever you do, do not forget the chocolate rice! Mix and pour mixture into a buttered 6x6 inch cake pan. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

P0757_15-04-10

7 comments:

  1. I love banana cakes! Can I add a dash of cinnamon powder? I like the taste of cinnamon in everything, just like how the husband likes lemon in everything :)

    I'm going grocery shopping tonight, so will buy those chocolate rice. I have the rest of the ingredients at home.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah of course you can add cinnamon, I bet its gonna taste great! Btw I love cinnamon too! If I could have my way I would be having cinnamon toasts every morning for breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. imagine dipping this in a hot chai... aaye haaye... the way it would melt in your mouth right down your throat... yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats exactly how we ate the banana bread Behbood!!! quite an imagination u have got there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay guys, so I made this on Saturday. I didn't have banana essence, so I used vanilla instead. It took 45 minutes to bake, with mom-in-law and Masood peeking into the oven every 5 minutes, LOL. The entire house smelled heavenly! It turned out very well, Nisa! We had it with doodh-patti waali chai :)

    PS: I added my cinnamon, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey.. how do u make cinnamon toasts? ok i'm gonna try bake this for Tufeil too... soon.ish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck Jus! It's really simple to bake!
    I just posted something on cinnamon toasts, check it out! :D

    ReplyDelete